2016 START National Training Institute
The Center for START Services staff would like to extend a sincere thank you to all of the START network members, presenters, and volunteers who participated in the inaugural START National Training Institute (SNTI) March 14 - 16, 2016 in Atlanta, Georgia. Thank you so much for being a part of our first annual Instititute! We hope to see you our 2017 SNIT April 30 - May 2 at Doral Arrowwood Conference Center in Rye Brook, Westchester County, New York. Click here to learn more about 2017 SNTI.
A Word From Dr. Beasley
“We received feedback from participants that the SNTI was a rousing success, and this was due to all of the START Network members who brought knowledge, enthusiasm and love of learning to every aspect of the experience. We could not have had a better event. The talent, knowledge and vast experience of presenters inspired us all. The creative posters portrayed how far the START Network has come. Our “Atlanta SNTI village" contained a learning community that I was proud to be a part of and sorry to leave. Looking forward to next year! Congrats to all on this extraordinary achievement.”
Quotes from Our Keynote Speakers
Opening the SNTI were our keynote mother/daughter speakers Melanie and Phyllis Hecker, who spoke on “ASD and Bi-Polar Disorder: A Self-Advocate and Parent Perspective”. Also presenting a keynote presentation were the Shut-Up Sisters, Patricia Terrasi and Gina Terrasi-Gallagher, with their presentation entitled, “The Movement of Imperfection”, providing the parental perspective on the joys and challenges of raising children with differences in a world preoccupied with perfection. The SNTI closed with a surprise keynote presentation by Dr. Karyn Harvey, who shared with the audience the power of positive regard.
"If you have met one person with Autism, you have met one person with Autism"
- Melanie Hecker
"My daughter, with her disability, is stronger and more confident than I was without one." -Gina Terrasi-Gallagher
Congratulations to all 2016 Award Recipients
- START Network Partner Award: Recognizes a network partner, in collaboration with a START team, for significant contribution to improving the system of support for individuals with IDD and mental health challenges. The recipient embodies the core START concept of enhancing the capacity of the system. Congratulations to Julie Lago from the Center for Life Management in NH
- START Case Management/Service Coordination Award: Recognizes someone who has worked closely and positively with a START team to improve the system of support for individuals with IDD and mental health challenges. The recipient recognizes the importance of collaborative, systemic work between START teams and case management/service coordination in the system. Congratulations to Tena Bennett from Arkansas
- The START Team Member Awards Recognizes START professionals who demonstrate a thorough understanding of the START model and have made a significant contribution to improving the lives of people supported through START. The recipients exemplify the START philosophy of positive engagement with individuals, families and the service system. Congratulations to Steve Tuzo, Resource Center Director for NC START East (Resource Center Team Member Award ), Karen Collins from NY START Region 1 (Clinical Team Member), and Dr. Roberto Blanco, Medical Director for NC Central START (Senior Clinician Team Member Award)
- The William J. Gardner National START Award Congratuations to Dr. Robert J. Fletcher, the founder of NADD, for his significant contributions to the improvement of clinical practice for people with intellectual/developmental disabilities and mental health challenges.
- Special Recognition Award Presented to Vivian Leon In appreciation and recognition for her commitment to the START model and philosophy as a founding member of North Carolina START
- Special Recognition Award Presented to Dr. Anne Hurley In appreciation and recognition for her commitment to the START model and philosophy as a founding member of National START
Thank you to Poster Session Participants
- Building Capacity- Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center Interdisciplinary Consultation Teams for Individuals Diagnosed with IDD: Robert Scholz – New Hampshire START
- Creating Data Based Bio-Psycho-Social Resource Center Discharge Summaries: Laurie Charlot, Lisa Wolfe, Steve Tuzo, Latoya Ross & Sara Stanton – NC START East
- Creating National Maps to Compare States on Important Mental Health Outcomes: B. Barger & A. Roach – Center for Leadership in Disability, School of Public Health, Georgia State University
- CSS I-START – The START in Iowa: Chalsea Carroll, Cassie Winters, Ashley Lutgen, LeAnn Rosado & Felicia Bates - Iowa
- Cultural Considerations for the START Program: Erica Thomas, Kristal Garcia, Angelica Garcia, Yvette Marquez & Elyana Martinez – Texas START El Paso
- Effects of Extended Stays on Therapeutic Value of Resource Centers: Katherine Howell, Jill Hinton & Jason Tuell – VA START Region 1
- Implementing the START Model with In-Home Supports Serving Child and Adult Systems: Candace Baugh, Caitlin Sestokas, David Schlesselman & Maya Hu-Morabito – New York START Region 1
- Increasing Utilization of a Resource Center: Mojgan Pourmand, Liv Salvador & Dallow Turay – VA START Region 2
- Perceptions of Health Care Providers by Parents of Children with Developmental Disabilities in Georgia: B. Barger, R. Wells & D. Crimmins – Center for Leadership in Disability, School of Public Health, Georgia State University
- Profile of Emergency Department Visits/Admissions Pre and Post START: Amy Cohen Anneling, et.al. – New York START Region 3
- Resource Center – Therapeutic Group Activities for Individuals with IDD: Charmaine Scott, Barry Hamilton & Josh Cuddy – Texas START Travis Co.
- The Factor Structure of the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire: B. Barger, A. Roach & E. Graybill – Center for Leadership in Disability, School of Public Health, Georgia State University
- Using the Aberrant Behavior Checklist (ABC) to Measure Change for the Individual and their System of Care: Anne LaForce, Jillaine Baker, Ann Klein & Jill Hinton – NC START Central
- Working with Children and Adolescents within the START Model: Three Examples: Karen Collins, Tyler Bond, Elly Fisher & Kathryn Procknal – New York START Region 1
Thank you to our Sponsors